Dentist near Foster City, CA describes the process of obtaining dentures as a treatment for missing teeth
At Peninsula Dental Implant Center, our dentist, Dr. Shivani Gupta, and her staff of professionals near Foster City CA provide a variety of solutions for patients who are faced with tooth loss. There are three primary methods of tooth replacement, including:
At her practice, she can describe the process of obtaining many of these solutions, including dentures. Dentures are a wonderful treatment for patients who are seeking an economical option for repairing the smile, and our dentist can walk patients through the journey from start to finish!
The process of receiving dentures
- Consultation – prior to moving forward with the fabrication and placement of dentures, patients must first determine if they are right for this solution. Dentures come in two varieties, including partial and full. Patients who need to replace one or more teeth within the dental arch can use a partial denture, while a full denture is dedicated to patients who need to replace the entire arch of teeth. Consulting with Dr. Shivani Gupta is necessary to decide if this restoration is best suited for the patient. Discussion of alternatives may also be considered at this time.
- Preparations – if patients have decided to move forward with dentures, they may require some preparations. This applies mostly for patients who are having full dentures completed. Some patients may still have a few teeth within the dental arch and may request to have them extracted so they can place full dentures. Extractions are done right in our office. These simple extractions are done quickly with proper sedation and anesthesia to ensure patients are completely comfortable throughout the process.
- Impressions/molds – once preparations are made, impressions are taken. These impressions help the laboratory that creates the dentures get an idea of how the dentures should fit. The molds are made for patients who are having full or partial dentures fabricated. For partial dentures, it ensures the new restoration fits comfortably yet precisely within the existing teeth, while for full dentures, it is done to make sure the dentures sit perfectly on the ridge of the gum line. These are done in-house and mailed to the dental laboratory along with information regarding the appearance of the final dentures.
- Temporaries – temporary restorations are placed within the smile while the area heals and while the new dentures are being made. This ensures patients maintain their confidence with their smile and are able to speak and eat their favorite foods in the interim. Temporaries are not nearly as strong or perfectly fitted as the final repairs, and patients should keep this in mind.
- Placement – when the final denture returns to the office, Dr. Shivani Gupta will work with patients on placement. Some implant-supported dentures, such as the A4 complete dentures, are placed over dental implants that have been surgically situated along the gum line. Patients who obtain full dentures are educated on how to keep them in place and how to care for them to improve their longevity. Partial dentures have a metal and acrylic framework and should snap into place within the dental arch. Adjustments of these dentures can be made at the office before patients leave, ensuring proper fit and function. We educate our patients on proper denture care, which includes at-home care and routine visits to the dental office. Patients with dentures should always bring them for their biannual appointments.
Do you live near Foster City, CA?
Are you ready to discuss with a dentist the process of obtaining full or partial dentures? Are you interested in a treatment option that is affordable for your smile and can restore functionality and beauty? Are you focused on getting work done by an experienced professional in the area who has years of experience in providing implants, bridges, and dentures? We welcome you to contact the practice of Dr. Shivani Gupta. At Peninsula Dental Implant Center, patients in San Carlos, CA and the surrounding areas have access to quality, comprehensive dental care solutions for repairing the smile after tooth loss. Contact our practice at (650) 232-7650 to schedule an appointment at our office, conveniently located at 1201 St. Francis Way. We welcome new and existing adults into our practice to consult with our team in regards to the options available for their smiles!
Share this Article
Back to Dentures Page