Dentist near Foster City, Ca offers IV Sedation as a method of calming during dental procedures
At Peninsula Dental Implant Center near Foster City, CA, our professionals offer a method for relaxing patients during their procedures. Our dentist, Dr. Shivani Gupta, encourages patients to learn more about IV sedation for treatments performed in her facility.
What is IV Sedation?
Dr. Shivani Gupta of Peninsula Dental Implant Center describes IV sedation as a type of treatment that can be combined with procedures to provide deep relaxation. Using an IV, the medication is administered directly into the bloodstream for immediate and long-lasting sedation. This type of sedation is controlled and monitored closely by our professionals before and during the treatment to ensure patients are at the proper level of sedation for optimum relaxation.
Why IV Sedation?
Many patients prefer IV sedation over alternative sedative methods for various reasons:
- IV sedation is much stronger than other methods of sedation, including oral conscious sedation and nitrous oxide
- With IV sedation, many patients leave their procedure with no recollection of the treatment
- IV sedation is safe and effective in helping patients with extreme anxieties get the treatment they need for better oral health and wellness
- Using IV sedation provides the strongest sedative available in dentistry today
- The use of IV sedation reduces trauma and emotional concerns during dental visits
- IV sedation allows the dentist to work quickly and more efficiently, reducing the time needed for the appointment overall
- IV sedation is perfect for patients who are having invasive procedures such as dental implants or will be spending a lot of time in the dental chair because of combined treatments
What can I expect during my appointment with IV Sedation?
Patients who have IV sedation often doze off and are extremely comfortable during the procedure. They usually do not remember the procedure at all!
What should I do before my appointment?
Patients who are undergoing a treatment with IV sedation are urged to:
- Arrange transportation home after their appointment
- Avoid food or beverages after midnight the day before the procedure
- Remove contact lenses
- Remove oral appliances including retainers, Invisalign aligners, and dentures
- Remove jewelry
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Strictly follow after-care instructions
Who is a candidate for IV Sedation?
Any patient who is healthy and is undergoing a dental procedure at our practice can ask about using IV sedation to avoid anxiety and make the treatment more bearable. Some patients with severe anxieties find that this type of sedation is best for getting them into the office for necessary treatments. It is often requested by patients who have had it before thanks to the ease of use and how comfortable they feel throughout procedures.
Is this the same as sleep dentistry?
Yes! IV sedation is sometimes referred to as “sleep dentistry” as many patients fall asleep for their treatments. Our team monitors the levels of sedation throughout the procedure to make sure that patients are tranquil and comfortable. Changes can be made if needed depending on the level of sedation the patient requires. This is a highly effective method of relaxing patients without the use of oral medications or nitrous oxide.
How much does IV Sedation Cost?
There are several different facts that can affect the price of IV sedation, so we encourage patients to come in for a consultation appointment to discuss the possible cost of treatment. Additionally, patients should bring to their appointment their dental insurance card, as sometimes, plans may cover a portion of the cost for IV sedation. Our front office team can contact the patient’s plan administrators to determine what type of coverage is available for sedation – as well as the treatment the patient requires. This can affect the overall price of the procedure which can be broken up into manageable payments through our front office staff.
Are you ready to learn more about IV Sedation near Foster City?
Contact Dr. Shivani Gupta and her staff at Peninsula Dental Implant Center today by calling (650) 567-5885 and visiting the office in San Carlos, CA at 1201 St. Francis Way. The professionals in her practice are here to provide comprehensive dental care solutions while ensuring patient comfort along the way!