San Carlos dentist offers safe IV sedation
Are you looking for a dentist in the San Carlos area who takes your comfort seriously? Partner with Dr. Shivani Gupta, and relax for pain free dental care. At Peninsula Dental Implant Center, your wellbeing is top priority. Dr. Gupta offers sleep dentistry with the soothing option of IV sedation.
Understanding IV sedation
Intravenous sedation is extremely safe for adults, and the effect wears off quickly. The drug is administered through a vein. IV sedation results in deeper relaxation than inhaled nitrous oxide (laughing gas). The level of sedation can be adjusted continually during the procedure, as compared to oral conscious sedation in pill form. You become so tranquil that you may doze off, but you are conscious – able to communicate if necessary, and breathe naturally.
What to expect
Before planning IV sedation as part of your treatment, Dr. Gupta evaluates your medical history. Then:
- You should not eat or drink after midnight before your procedure.
- Do not wear contact lenses, dentures, retainer, Invisalign, watch, or jewelry.
- Wear comfortable clothing and flat shoes (you will be a little wobbly as the medication subsides).
- Settle into the chair while sedation is administered. You will barely notice numbing or the remainder of treatment.
- Your vital signs are continually monitored with electronic equipment.
- You receive post-procedure instructions, including drinking plenty of water, diet, and medications for discomfort.
- Someone must drive you home.
- You probably won’t remember the appointment.
IV sedation in dentistry
IV sedation is tremendously beneficial to patients who are anxious or fearful about dental care. It is also ideal for complex or extensive procedures such as multiple dental implant placements. Because it relaxes the body as well as the mind, treatment can be performed efficiently, with reduced trauma and speedy healing.Back to Oral Conscious Sedation Page