What is the purpose of using dental implants for Atherton, CA area patients
At Peninsula Dental Implant Center, Dr. Shivani Gupta, and her staff offer a myriad of solutions when it comes to tooth loss. One of the most beneficial solutions is dental implants. The purpose of the dental implant is to provide a tooth replacement option for individuals who are ready to restore their smiles. Atherton, CA area patients are welcome to contact the practice to learn more about how dental implants work.
Dental implants explained
Many patients are unsure as to how dental implants work and will ask Dr. Shivani Gupta and her team when consulting regarding tooth replacement options. Implants are small posts made of titanium, which is biocompatible with the body. The implant is placed into the bone during oral surgery and sticks out above the gum line. They can be restored in many ways.
- A dental implant may be covered with a dental crown to act as a single tooth replacement.
- A dental implant may be used to provide an anchor for a dental bridge.
- A dental implant may be used to stabilize a full denture to give it strength and stability for improved functionality.
Dental implants are a great solution for individuals who want a more permanent option for their smile and are an alternative to bridges and dentures.
What sets dental implants apart from other tooth replacement options?
Dental implants are often chosen because they have many benefits. Dental implants are:
- An investment. While dental implants are commonly costlier than alternative options such as dentures and bridges, they are a wonderful investment for many patients. Their upfront cost is deferred by the fact that they can last a lifetime, making them – over time – far less expensive than alternatives that need to be replaced or repaired over the years.
- Permanent. Dental implants use natural bone to hold them in place. They are permanent once the process of osseointegration occurs, ensuring that patients have them for many years to come! Patients still need to be careful in monitoring their smile for problems such as periodontal disease, which can impact implants.
- Stability. Because the implant is held in place by the natural bone, it is strong and stable. This durable option is often chosen as it allows the restoration to act as the natural tooth once did.
- Versatility. Dental implants are used in a variety of ways, making them a great solution for patients who are interested in achieving a new smile in a different manner. Whether patients are using the implant to stabilize dentures or replace a single tooth, Dr. Shivani Gupta can make it happen!
- Biocompatibility. Titanium is safe to use for restorations in the body and does not degrade over time. This makes it an appropriate material for dental implants and other treatments used in medicine.
What can I expect with the placement of a dental implant?
The dental implant process can take several weeks or months to be fully completed, so Dr. Shivani Gupta walks patients through the procedure from start to finish. Patients are first evaluated to determine candidacy, then plans are made for where and how to place the implants. Once this is done, then the process of osseointegration needs to occur, in which the bone wraps around the implant to hold it in place. During this time, restorations such as crowns or dentures are discussed. Impressions are made, and the restorations are fabricated at our in-office dental laboratory to and placed once the healing process is completed. Patients are then able to enjoy their new tooth replacements and feel confident with their smile again! Dental implants are a journey in dentistry that many patients are thrilled they have taken!
Interested in discussing the benefits of dental implants?
Contact the team at Peninsula Dental Implant Center in the Atherton, Redwood City area by calling (650) 232-7650. Our practice, located at 1201 St. Francis Way in San Carlos, is here to assist patients in achieving the smiles of their dreams, even when the unexpected occurs. Dental implants are just one of several services provided in our state-of-the-art practice with Dr. Shivani Gupta. Make an appointment to consult our team today!Back to Single or Multiple Implants Page