Are you missing teeth? San Carlos dentist can help with a personalized dental implants solution
Missing teeth have a big impact on the quality of life. They influence your appearance, ability to communicate clearly, and your self-confidence. You may have difficulty eating a well-rounded diet, with health effects felt throughout the body. Redwood City and Menlo Park area dentist, Dr. Shivani Gupta, can help, with the solution of a dental implant tailored to your needs. She provides answers to these common questions to give you a better understanding of the dental implants concept.
How do dental implants work?
An implant is a man-made tooth root fabricated from a titanium alloy or other biocompatible material. The implant is precisely positioned in the jawbone, where it becomes solidly fused. The implant then becomes the foundation for a single artificial tooth, or the stabilizing force for a bridge or denture, replacing multiple teeth.
Who can get dental implants?
Fortunately, today most people in reasonably good health can be candidates for dental implants.
At Peninsula Dental Implant Center, Dr. Gupta provides a full range of related services to make dental implants a reality for most patients, including:
- Tooth extraction – Usually, there is no need to see an oral surgeon for extraction before considering implants. Depending on your treatment plan, Dr. Gupta may be able to perform necessary bone grafting and place implants at the same time extractions are performed.
- Block/bone grafting – In the past, individuals with a hereditary tendency for a thin bony ridge, or those with diminished bone from teeth that had been missing for a while, were not good candidates. Grafting augments and reshapes bone structure for improved implant success.
- Sinus lift – Similar to the grafting procedure, a sinus lift supports the maxillary sinus membrane. It reduces the risk of complications from large or low sinuses that lie close to the upper jaw.
- Immediate implant restoration/teeth in a day – Dr. Gupta understands that you may not want to be seen without teeth. A single dental implant can be fitted immediately with a healing cap and a temporary crown. In other cases, a full denture is crafted in advance, and supported by specially-designed and positioned implants on the day teeth are extracted.
- Gingival grafting – Soft tissue grafting recontours gums for a healthy, tight seal around implant sites (or anywhere gums are receding).
Your wellbeing is Dr. Gupta’s number one priority. She takes time to make a comprehensive evaluation of your oral health using the in-office Cone Beam CT Scan, overall medical status, and expectations before recommending implants.
Why are dental implants the best solution?
Traditional bridgework, partial dentures, and full dentures are sound tooth replacement options, appropriate in some situations. However, these methods have something in common – they rest on the surface of gum tissue.
A dental implant is the only tooth replacement solution that is integrated into bone and becomes part of your body. It provides a rock-solid footing, so the restoration cannot wobble, slip, or rub sore spots . . . and oral function is dramatically improved.
Implants also help to preserve facial bone. Much like the root of a natural tooth, the implant signals the body to send minerals and nutrients that keep jawbone dense and strong. That avoids a sunken appearance, which adds years to the face providing you a more youthful appearance.
How long will dental implants last?
With good oral hygiene, an implant could last a lifetime. If the crown, bridge, or denture restoration is ever damaged, it can easily be replaced without disrupting the implant. Dr. Gupta has an in-office dental lab with which teeth can be replaced promptly.
How to choose a dentist for implants
Any dentist licensed to practice in California may legally place and restore dental implants. Most do only a few stand-alone implants each year or refer implant placement to an oral surgeon.
Experience and technology are essential traits in your choice of a provider. Peninsula Dental Implant Center is equipped with leading-edge technologies for accurate diagnosis, meticulous treatment planning, and precision computer-guided placement. We offer several sedation options to ensure a comfortable experience. Ceramic crown and bridge restorations are made on-site to Dr. Gupta’s exacting standards using modern milling machines.
The practice specializes in dental implants, placing hundreds each year, with an excellent patient satisfaction rate. Dr. Gupta has more than a decade of experience in California practice and is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantology. Recently Dr. Gupta successfully completed a nearly one-year hands-on course in dental implants. This course is conducted by the American Association of Implant Dentistry.
What are the advantages of implants?
- Bone preservation
- Easy care
- Natural appearance
A San Carlos dental implants solution can help you with missing teeth. Call Peninsula Dental Implant Center at (650) 232-7650 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gupta.Back to Blog Page