Understanding Consent for Dental Implants: What You Should Know
Dental implants placed at Peninsula Dental Implant Center by our lead dentist, Dr. Shivani Gupta, DDS, Master ICOI in Redwood City, California, are an excellent option to replace your teeth, whether after trauma, gum disease, or extensive tooth decay. Dental implants replicate your natural teeth’ feel, function, and appearance. Once the implants have integrated into your mouth, you’ll be amazed at how seamlessly they blend in, making it difficult to distinguish them from natural teeth.
Placing your implants involves a surgical procedure to bury the implant (titanium) screw in your jawbone. And like any surgery, patients need to provide informed consent to ascertain they’ve been informed about the risks, benefits, and alternatives to the procedure. Informed consent may sound scary, but it’s meant to strengthen the doctor-patient relationship to ensure you are well-informed before treatment.
What’s involved in informed consent for dental implant surgery?
Informed consent should be obtained before your procedure. The patient should have adequate time to ask questions, consult, and fully understand the details in the form. Informed consent ensures you know the procedure’s outcomes to make an informed decision before treatment.
Before implant treatment, your dentist should inform you about the following:
- Risks of the procedure
- Alternatives for dental implants, including bridges and dentures
- Materials used for dental implants
- Expected treatment time
- The estimated cost of the procedure, including potential additional costs
- Specific instructions you should follow before and after the treatment
- Patient’s responsibility to maintain good oral hygiene and other aftercare instructions to minimize the failure rate
- Consent for X-rays, photography, and study models, if applicable
What are the risks involved in dental implants?
Dental implants are quite effective and safe, but they carry certain risks, like any procedure. Being aware of possible complications allows you to set realistic expectations and proactively address any issues before they become significant concerns.
Although rare, dental implants carry the inherent risks below:
- Minor bleeding, swelling, and pain after surgery, although this can be managed with pain medications and home remedies
- Nerve damage, causing pain, numbness, and tingling
- Implant infection (peri-implantitis) due to poor oral hygiene
- Implant failure, where the bone fails to integrate with the implant fixture, requiring further surgery
- Bone loss around the healing site
- Slow healing, especially for heavy smokers
- Minor gum scarring
We strive to ensure all our implants are successful. Our team uses cutting-edge technology and clinically proven skills for precise implant placement. We also educate our patients on how to maintain implants for successful outcomes.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
The benefits of dental implants far outweigh the costs and risks. Patients with dental implants enjoy numerous benefits, including:
- Improved appearance
- Restored oral function
- Long-lasting restorations
- Enhanced oral health
- Preserved jawbone
- Stabilized nearby teeth
- Low maintenance
Our qualified dental team is here to assist you every step of the way. We also have incredible implant offers to complete your smile without denting your pocket. Please call (650) 232-7650 to get your complete smile back with dental implants!
Share this Article
Back to Near Redwood City Page