Complications to consider when caring for dental implants after placement
While dental implants are a popular solution for patients who are missing one or more teeth, as with any dental treatment, complications can occur. Many patients will ask why dental implants fail and what can be done to avoid these issues. Dr. Shivani Gupta of Peninsula Dental Implant Center in San Carlos, California, can educate you further on what to expect after implant placement and how to maintain implants for a lifetime!
Why do dental implants fail?
There are a few reasons why dental implants may fail after placement. These include:
- Implant overloading. This occurs when there is too much pressure on the implant from chewing or grinding, leading to failure
- Poor oral hygiene. Not keeping up with regular brushing and flossing can lead to plaque buildup around the implant, resulting in infection and eventual failure
- Inadequate bone support. If a patient has inadequate bone support, their dental implants may fail due to a lack of stability. Bone grafting is often done to provide additional bone support.
- Smoking habits. Smoking reduces oxygen and can cause tissue death around the site of the implant, eventually leading to the failure of the implant
Why choose Dr. Shivani Gupta?
Dr. Shivani Gupta has almost two decades of experience providing dental care, including dental implants, to patients in and around Burlingame, Millbrae and San Bruno, California. Dr. Gupta takes care of implant complications by replacing failed implants with additional bone grafting and using oversized implants. She is a member of the International Congress of Oral Implantology and the American Association of Implant Dentistry, as well has an Associate Fellowship with the American Academy of Implant Dentistry. She focuses on providing dental implants to restore smiles and give patients the confidence they need after tooth loss and extraction. Additionally, she offers:
- Free consultations that include 3D CT Scanning for precision evaluation
- Custom virtual design smiles to show patients the final results
- More affordable pricing than other dental implantologists in the Bay Area
- Full replacement of broken, missing teeth with new fixed implant denture
Call Peninsula Dental Implant Center today
Share this Article
Back to Ceramic Dental Implants Page